In a world so eager for you to grow up, it’s somewhat surprising that many hotels require guests to be at least 21 to check in.
This can pose a significant problem for young travelers, be it high school graduates taking a gap year, college students on a budget trip, or young entrepreneurs attending business conferences. Fortunately, there are hotels that are exceptions to this rule.
This article provides a list of 20 hotels with check in age of 18, ensuring that no young traveler is left stranded due to their age.
Understanding Hotel Age Policies
Did you know that most hotels have a minimum age requirement for guests checking in? This policy is typically set by the hotel management to ensure that they do not turn away anyone who might potentially cause damage or disturb other guests.
While this may seem fair, it can be frustrating for young travelers.
The minimum age for hotel check-ins is commonly set at 18 or 21 years old. However, some hotels go as low as 16 years old, while others require that guests be at least 25. This policy also varies depending on the location and type of hotel. Neverthless, there are hotels that allow 18 year olds to check in, but only when the certain conditions are fullfilled!
Reasoning Behind Minimum Age Requirements
The reasoning behind these minimum age requirements can vary from hotel to hotel. These are the top 10 most common reasons for these rules:
- Legal restrictions: Some local laws may require hotels to have a minimum age requirement for guests to check in. For example, in some states in the US, the minimum age to check into a hotel is 18.
- Insurance requirements: Some hotels may have age restrictions due to their insurance policies. For example, their insurance policy may not cover them if a minor is injured or killed on their property.
- Potential for damage to the property: Minors are more likely to damage hotel rooms than adults. This is because they are less likely to be aware of the consequences of their actions and they may be more likely to engage in risky or destructive behavior.
- Noise and disturbance concerns: Minors may be more likely to make noise than adults, which can disturb other guests.
- Safety and security concerns: Hotels may have age restrictions in place to help ensure the safety of their guests and staff. For example, they may want to prevent minors from checking in with adults who are not their parents or guardians.
- Age-restricted amenities (such as casinos or bars): Some hotels may have age restrictions due to the amenities that they offer. For example, if a hotel has a casino or a bar, they may require guests to be 21 or older to check in.
- Liability issues with underage guests consuming alcohol on the premises: Hotels may have age restrictions in place to prevent underage guests from consuming alcohol on their premises. If an underage guest consumes alcohol on the premises and is injured or killed, the hotel could be held liable.
- Risk of underage guests engaging in illegal activities: Hotels may have age restrictions in place to prevent underage guests from engaging in illegal activities, such as gambling, drug use, or prostitution.
- Reputation management: Hotels may want to maintain a certain reputation, such as being a family-friendly hotel or a business-friendly hotel. By having an age restriction in place, they can help to create and maintain the desired atmosphere.
- Previous negative experiences with young guests causing issues: Some hotels may have implemented age restrictions due to previous negative experiences with young guests causing issues, such as damaging property, making noise, or engaging in other disruptive behavior.
Hotel Policies For Minimum Age Around the World
The minimum age to check into a hotel varies around the world. In most countries, the minimum age is 18, but there are some countries where the minimum age is higher or lower. For example, in Japan, the minimum age to check into a hotel is 20, while in Germany, the minimum age is 16.
Here is a brief overview of the minimum age requirements at hotels in different countries around the world:
- North America: In the United States and Canada, the minimum age to check into a hotel is typically 18. However, some hotels may have a higher minimum age, especially if they have age-restricted amenities, such as a casino or a bar.
- Europe: In most European countries, the minimum age to check into a hotel is 18. However, there are some exceptions. For example, in Germany, the minimum age is 16, and in France, there is no minimum age requirement.
- Asia: In Asia, the minimum age requirements at hotels vary widely. For example, in Japan, the minimum age is 20, while in South Korea, it is 19.
- South America: In South America, the minimum age requirements at hotels vary widely. For example, in Brazil, the minimum age is 18, while in Argentina, it is 21.
- Australia and New Zealand: In Australia and New Zealand, the minimum age to check into a hotel is typically 18. However, some hotels may have a higher minimum age, especially if they have age-restricted amenities, such as a casino or a bar.
It is important to note that these are just general guidelines. The specific minimum age requirements at a particular hotel may vary. It is always best to contact the hotel directly to confirm their age policy.
Which Hotels Allow 18 Year Olds to Check in? 20 Best Hotels to Stay At If You’re 18!
Now, it’s time to discuss what hotels can you check in at 18. These hotels not only have a minimum age requirement of 18, but they also offer exceptional service, amenities, and overall experience.
Sure, here’s a brief overview of the 20 hotels that let you check-in under 21:
- Airbnb: Airbnb is unique as it’s made up of individual hosts rather than a centralized hotel chain, so policies can vary greatly. However, many hosts allow guests aged 18 and above.
- Best Western: Known for its friendly service and comfortable rooms, Best Western allows guests aged 20 to check in at most locations.
- Drury Inn & Suites: This chain offers an array of amenities and generally permits guests who are 18 or older to check in.
- Four Seasons: This luxury hotel chain typically allows guests aged 18 and above to check in, offering high-end accommodations and top-notch service.
- Hilton Hotels: Hilton’s portfolio includes several brands that allow 18-year-olds to check in, including Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, and Doubletree.
- Hyatt Hotels: Known for its comfortable and stylish accommodations, Hyatt often allows guests aged 18 and above to check in.
- Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG): IHG, which includes brands like Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza, usually allows guests aged 18 and above to check in.
- Marriott: Marriott’s various brands, including Courtyard and Residence Inn, often allow guests aged 18 and above to check in.
- Motel 6: As an affordable and reliable option, Motel 6 allows guests aged 18 and above to check in at all locations.
- Red Roof Inn: Known for providing value for money, Red Roof Inn allows 18-year-old guests to check in at most locations.
- Wingate by Wyndham: Offering comfortable stays, Wingate by Wyndham typically allows guests aged 18 and above to check in.
- Hawthorn Suites: Known for their extended stay offerings, most Hawthorn Suites locations allow check-ins for guests aged 18 and up.
- Microtel by Wyndham: Microtel offers budget-friendly accommodations and generally allows guests aged 18 and above to check in.
- Ramada by Wyndham: Ramada usually allows guests aged 18 and above to check in, offering a comfortable stay with a variety of amenities.
- Baymont by Wyndham: Known for its homely feel and friendly service, Baymont often allows guests aged 18 and above to check in.
- Days Inn by Wyndham: Days Inn offers affordable rooms and typically allows guests aged 18 and above to check in.
- Super 8 by Wyndham: Super 8 is known for value and convenience, and it generally allows guests aged 18 and above to check in.
- Howard Johnson by Wyndham: Offering a warm and friendly stay, Howard Johnson often allows guests aged 18 and above to check in.
- Travelodge by Wyndham: Travelodge offers budget-friendly accommodations and generally allows guests aged 18 and above to check in.
- Knights Inn: Knights Inn is known for its affordability and generally allows guests aged 18 and above to check in.
Remember, while these hotel chains generally allow check-ins at the age of 18 or 20, policies can vary depending on location. Always contact the specific hotel to confirm their check-in policy.
How to Find Hotels That Allow 18-Year-Olds to Check In
If you are looking for a hotel that allows 18-year-olds to check in, there are a few things you can do:
- Search online: There are a number of websites that allow you to search for hotels by age requirement. For example, you can use the website Hotels.com to search for hotels that allow guests to check in at 18.
- Contact the hotel directly: You can also contact the hotel directly to confirm their age policy. This is the best way to ensure that you will be able to check in even if you are under the age of 21.
- Read reviews: You can also read reviews of hotels to see what other guests have said about the hotel’s age policy. This can help you to identify hotels that are known for being flexible with their age requirements.
Tips for Booking a Hotel That Allows 18-Year-Olds to Check In
Here are a few tips for booking a hotel that allows 18-year-olds to check in:
- Book in advance: If you are traveling during peak season, it is important to book your hotel in advance. This will give you the best chance of finding a hotel that has rooms available and that allows guests to check in at 18.
- Be prepared to provide documentation: Some hotels may require you to provide documentation of your age, such as a driver’s license or passport. Be prepared to provide this documentation when you check in.
- Be prepared to pay a deposit: Some hotels may require underage guests to pay a deposit upon check-in. This deposit is typically refundable, but it is important to be aware of this requirement.
By following these tips, you can increase your chances of finding a hotel that allows 18-year-olds to check in and having a safe and enjoyable stay.
Conclusion: Hotels That Let You Check In At 18
While it can be challenging to find hotels that allow guests under the age of 21 to check in, it is not impossible. By using websites such as motel.com and contacting hotels directly, you can identify which hotels have flexible age policies.
Additionally, reading reviews and booking in advance can also help you secure a room at a hotel that allows 18-year-olds to check in.
Remember to always be prepared to provide documentation and pay a deposit if necessary. With these tips in mind, you can successfully book a hotel that welcomes guests of all ages.
I’m Usama Ali. A Content Strategist, copywriter, and editor with over 10+ years in writing. I love to explore the beauty of the world and write about all the personal experiences I have, find the best deals of hotels, and write reviews on hotels after getting surveys, travelling to hotels, and also give tips and tricks to save money on tours using motel.com’s blog.